In the year 750 BC (Barovian Calendar), the largest and most prosperous city in Darkon, Il Aluk, erupted in a blast of necromantic energy that slayed everyone in the city and caused magical fallout throughout the country. Azalin, the wizard-king of Darkon, was in Il Aluk at the time and presumed to be killed. Over the next five years, Death’s Horsemen, civil wars, and new terrors plagued Darkon. In 755 Azalin was mysteriously returned to power, and while Il Aluk (now “Necropolis”) has remained a home for the dead and a roadblock to trade, things are starting to show signs of journeying back to normal.
The party will consist of a young noble and their most trusted friends. An Azalin loyalist, you will be summoned to Castle Avernus to be given a job; oversee the construction of a new trade route, restore a ruined tower, and defend the region. If you succeed in this, you will be named the “Transumbra Baron” and be given the right to tax trade as it comes through.
All players will make two characters, so that we can have a “home” and “away” team at any given time. Sessions will switch back and forth between group perspectives, fast forwarding to the exciting points. Time will pass between sessions, allowing for construction progress, crafting, and some meta-gaming through online channels.
- Modifications to Magic
- Firearms and Gunpowder
- Fear and Madness
- Powers Checks
- Health and Injury
- Azalin Rex – The wizard-king of Darkon
- Castle Avernus – Azalin’s castle.
- Corvia – Dwarven town renouned for artisans and craftsmen.
- Creeana – Abandoned town planned to be the western end of the Transumbra Road.
- Forest of Shadows – A dense and forbidding forest that dominates southwest Darkon.
- Il Aluk, Necropolis – The past trade and culture center of Darkon. Now home to the dead.
- Mayvin – Small ex-mining town planned to be the eastern end of the Transumbra Road.
- Nartok – Wealthy city northwest of Creeana.
- Penumbra Tower – A ruined tower in the Forest of Shadows, on the planned route for the Transumbra Road.
- Rivalis – Small city. The closest thing you will find to the Shire in Ravenloft.
- Transumbra Road – A planned road that will connect Mayvin to Nartok and Stangengrad via Creeana.
- Stangengrad – Closest major city in Falkovnia for trade.
- Schloss Mordenheim – Closest major city in Lamordia for trade.
- City of the Dead – A rare ruin in a desolate domain.