Ravenloft is a place for curses. If you utter a curse against another being, the Dark Powers may just make it happen. To “cast” a curse, the following things need to happen.
- The player tells the DM what the curse is. Make it dramatic, make it in-character.
- The player must spend a Dread point and make an immediate Powers Check.
- The DM picks a DC for the curse; taking into account the impact of the curse, how well it fits with the narrative, and the target’s Charisma modifier. The DC is kept secret.
- The player rolls a Persuasion check to convince the Dark Powers to grant the curse. Vistani and Half-Vistani have advantage on this roll.
- If successful, the curse will take effect when dramatically appropriate.
Curses can be removed by the Remove Curse spell, however the caster of the curse will get a secret Charisma save against the spellcaster’s DC.
NPCs can also curse PCs. Do not anger the Vistani.